Currently, demography = destiny in the US. If you start out in poverty you are almost certain to end up in poverty. The best way to break the cycle of poverty is education, specifically a college degree.
WHY START WITH TK?
The sooner we start, the easier it will be to close the education gap between less and more economically privileged children. Consider that children from poor families typically enter school with a vocabulary deficit of 5,000 words compared to children of more affluent families. OP starts young, with Transitional Kindergarten, or TK, for 4-year-olds. Our scholars deserve a great education right away.
HOW WE WILL SUCCEED
- Inquiry-based learning. This means OP students seek and create knowledge and information through questioning.
- Recognize student's differences to support all learners. This means OP teachers employ various instructional methods.
- Support the whole child. This means:
- Foster a caring, compassionate, joyful school culture and provide social services for our children and families.
- Earn the trust of OP scholars and parents.
- Empower parents to know their child’s learning profile and to participate in school life.
- Develop student "agency" by instilling the
- Passion for and enjoyment of learning.
- Self respect and identification with OP as a learning community.
- Confidence when they push through learning challenges.
- Power to shape their futures and make wise choices that prioritize learning.
- Capacity to set learning goals, make plans, monitor progress, make adjustments, and know when, how and from whom to seek help.
- OP teachers assess students frequently and using different modalities, in order to make data-driven instructional decisions.